Subject: [Leica] M6 flash solution (long)
From: Jim Laurel <jplaurel@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 14:23:15 -0700

I notice that flash solutions for the non-ttl M6 classics are popular topics
here on the LUG.  Up until recently, I have used my M6s primarily as
existing light cameras, turning to my EOS equipment when fill flash is
needed.  I had dismissed using the M6s with flash for a variety of reasons
including a distrust of non-ttl flash units, 1/50 synch, etc.

However, I spent some time recently really trying to get a good, compact
flash solution worked out.  In an interview with Bob Krist a couple of years
ago, David Alan Harvey revealed that he uses a small flash, a Vivitar 2800
for fill in low light.  He also talks about using a little warming gel on it
which, I assume, is the one that ships with the flash.  I had tried it a few
times and didn't like the excessively orange results.  If you look at
Harvey's fill flash shots in Natl Geo, you'll see the same effect.

The Vivitar 2800 is a compact auto thyristor flash with a bounce and swivel
head, and two auto settings.  With ISO 100 film, these are f2.0 and f4.0.
This little flash recycles quickly, has decent power, and is very
lightweight, especially if you use lithium batteries.  And it's very
inexpensive at around $29.95!

Next, I picked up a Lumiquest "Pocket Bouncer" and a pack of reflectors and
rigged the velcro up on the Vivitar.  Fits perfectly and costs around $17
from Cameraworld.com.

With the gold reflector on the Lumiquest, and the camera set up to expose
for ambient light at an aperture 1 to 1.5 stops smaller than the
(recommended) auto setting on the flash (i.e, set the flash for an f2.0
exposure, then make sure your ambient exposure is 2.8 or 3.5), I have been
getting beautiful, natural-looking results.

The whole contraption looks a little odd on the M6 (unnaturally tall), but
it is very light weight, and compact enough for the flash + Pocket Bouncer
kit along with a little Bogen table top tripod to fit in just one of the
front pouches in a Domke F-803 satchel.  It's not perfect, and your Canon or
Nikon is going to be alot more flexible with thier higher synch speeds and
multi-zone TTL capability, but it works perfectly with an M6 as a lighting
supplement in existing light.  If your subject is at least a foot or so away
from a wall, you will generally not see any shadows at all.  The gold
reflector gives a nice warm look and even with E100VS, skin tones look good.
All in all, I am very encouraged with the results.

So, for less than $60, I have a flash solution for the M6 that produces
beautiful results.  Try it, you'll like it!

Other observations/thoughts on this setup:

1) The Lumiquest consumes around 30% of the flash's output, which makes it
possible to work closer to your subject.  The scale on the Vivitar 2800 (set
at the f4.0 setting for 100ISO) shows the minimum distance at 7ft.  I have
tested this setup as close as 3.5 ft, with excellent results.  You could
work in even closer by using the little 28mm diffuser that comes with the
flash.  Of course, this power reduction also limits your max working
distance.  But with the M6, I am generally working close in anyway.

2) I assume the flash's auto thyristor sensor measures a fairly broad angle
of view.  Could this be an advantage when working with wide angle lenses,
where the subject is off center?  I understand the M6ttl measures flash
center weighted, so if you're shooting with a 28, and your subject is off to
the side, is it possible that the non-ttl flash will give a more accurate
exposure?

3) Compared to modern electronic cameras, the effective range of uses for
this setup is clearly more limited.  For example, as fill flash in broad
daylight, it is virtually useless.  This is for fill flash in low light.  In
terms of ambient lighting, you can use this rig whenever a good ambient
exposure can be made at 1/50th of a second or slower, and f5.6 and wider
apertures.

Hope this helps some of you and...good shooting!

- --Jim Laurel