Subject: Re: [Leica] Erwin Qualifications
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 12:14:17 -0400

Folks-
I can't see why anyone is beating up on Erwin. He is a valuable resource,
and apparently the only Lugger with the wherewithal, and PATIENCE, to
seriously explore the objective and scientific qualities of lenses. I had
wondered about whether he did this sort of thing for a living, but even if
he didn't, there are many amateurs out there that are experts in their
chosen avocation. They are true to the word 'amatuer' someone who does it
for the love of the discipline and science. Others are rather more
dilettantes who pursue it as a pasttime, and I think they are the ones who
criticise the most loudly.
While I adire the empirical work of Erwins brother 'Hubert', I still find
Erwin's research to be both interesting, and enlightening, even if 75% of it
is over my head at first reading!
I hope we don't make Erwin 'mad' and make him feel unwanted- it would be a
dreadful loss.
Dan