Subject: Re: [Leica] Erwin Qualifications
From: "Bryan Caldwell" <bcaldwell@softcom.net>
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 06:51:20 -0700

>>Bottom line is, I've seen too many pictures that were technically perfect
but aesthetically boring.  I've also seen a lot of pictures that were
technically flawed but emotionally powerful.  Guess which category the most
famous photographs in the world usually fall into?  ;)<<

Well said. Whenever I find myself caught up in a technical "which is better"
debate, I go to the bookcase and pull down a volume of Roman Vishniac's
photographs of Eastern Europe between the world wars and I remind myself
that he used to develop his film in a river on moonless nights (!). This
doesn't mean that I don't appreciate the technical matery of others or the
amazing level to which the equipment of photography has risen, but it always
seems to settle me down a bit.

Bryan