Subject: [Leica] Eisenstadt, test reports,equipment matters and motives in photography
From: DABirkey@aol.com
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 22:57:27 EDT

> > I believe that Alfred Eisenstadt, the legendary LIFE Magazine
> photographer,
> > had indicated that he didn't believe in other people's lens tests.  He
> > tested his own new lenses by using them.  If he liked it, he kept it.

One should keep in mind though that much of his work was done using Leica
lenses....  From a practical side one could always buy the latest version of
a Leica lenses and skip ever reading a report..... on the other hand if one
wants to buy a used version for less money or is wondering whether to invest
in a newer version....  Erwin helps us out by giving some comparisons of
different ones so we don't have to buy them all to find out.....

Frankly data can always be manipulated and it is better to be skeptical of
data than believe everything you read.  But there are good tests too.

As far as technique Vs heart in art.....

The art market is far more complex than most people give it credit..... There
are people who produce high-quality images all their lives and never get any
recognition by the art community ... there are people who produce low-quality
images for a couple of years who are forever critically acclaimed as
geniuses.  Some produce original work, other cliches.  It seems rather
whimsical and success is due more to luck, timing, a few curators and dealers
than skill.....

My suggestion.... Take whatever kinds of pictures you want using whatever
equipment you want.....  If you want technically perfect images ... learn
technique ... if you want soft images, buy a Holga and smear Vaseline on your
enlarger lens (and join a Holga club instead of the LUG : ) ).

But take images that you are proud of that reflect your vision and view of
the world!  You only get frustrated if you try to take images that will
please everyone else because you can't please everyone.  You may never get a
one man show at a major museum ... but at least you'll be proud of your work.

Duane

http://members.tripod.com/~Duane_Birkey/index.html