Subject: Re: [Leica] Eisenstadt, test reports,equipment matters and motives in photography
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 11:19:22 -0400

At 12:16 PM 5/16/99 +0000, you wrote:
>That is why a guy can do multiple books of pictures of his dogs.....(sorry
>to any Wegman fans out there, but yeesh...pictures of your dogs  in various
>situations was what I was shooting at age 11)

Gee, isn't that interesting...Makes one wonder why Wegman's in numerous
museums, had countless books published, and is richer than god, while.... :-)

Seriously...Having read your posts lo these many many months I known that
you're too smart a guy to indulge in the old, "Picasso? My pet monkey could
do that." I would suggest thinking of Wegman not as a "photographer" per
se, but as a humorist/comedian whose performance medium is photography.
Much of his stuff is hysterically funny....check out the fairy tale
books....Little Red Riding Hood?....I remember going to a Wegman exhibit at
the Guggenheim in NY with my then 16-year-old son the budding artist. We
wandered through the rooms, pausing and laughing, pausing a
laughing...then, as we were leaving the Wegman area, we passed by a docent
with a tour group. The docent was prattling on about Wegman's
anti-something or other reaction against the something or other school of
who-knows-what and the statement he was making....Ben turned to me and in a
not very subtle stage whisper said, "Idiots...Don't they know he's a
comedian with a camera?"