Subject: Re: [Leica] Reassuring the public
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 20:10:42 +0200

Paul,

This is a difficult issue everywhere, unfortunately. Here in Belgium we
had some very high-profile child abuse (including murder) cases in the
past few years, and I can certainly understand if parents are uneasy about
strangers making any kind of approach to their children. As a father of a
5-year old girl and a 10-year old boy I can certainly understand it.
But...as a photographer I have to try to find ways around it. One solution
I have come across is to get involved in my children's activities. That
way I gain access to a bunch of children in a secure environment. For
example, my son plays baseball; during the games, younger siblings of the
players are typically running around on the playground, and since I know
the parents (at least they know that I am part of the group) there is no
uneasiness about my walking around and stalking the children with the M6.
Last week I took a couple of lovely shots (with the 135mm APO Telyt) of a
2-year old Japanese boy on the playground, a younger brother of one of my
son's teammates, and at this afternoon's game I had the great pleasure of
giving a print to the mother.

Likewise, I have photographed at my son's boy scout events and in my
daughter's kindergarden class.

If you do not have children of your own, perhaps you have friends who do,
which might allow you to use the same route.

Nathan

Paul Chefurka wrote, in part:

> I hope some of you will have helpful suggestions about resolving a
> situation that many amateur street photographers face in their work.
> It's about the concern that parents have when they see some stranger
> snapping pictures of their children in a public place.

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium

General photo page:  http://members.tripod.com/belgiangator/index.html