Subject: [Leica] Brighter Focusing Screens
From: "Kotsinadelis, Peter (Peter)" <peterk@lucent.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 12:28:32 -0700

In my previous post I mentioned Maxwell screens being a good choice for R
users.  I this opinion on personal experience from several years ago.  I
tested the various (alleged) brighter screens on medium format and 35mm
cameras and compared.  My findings were published in an article in The
Rangefinder Magazine in 1995.  Basically, the Brilliant Matte screen made by
Maxwell Precision optics was the clear winner.
For the record, this was not a scientific test but a more subjective one
that involved real use of each camera in several lighting situations.  I
also spoke with several pro photographers who had installed the various
screens to gain opinions for the article.  One in particular, a stock
photographer who use Pentax 67s, had experienced a tunneling effect when
using WA lenses with the Brightscreens installed.  This problem went away
when Hi-Lux screens were installed in her P67s.

It was interesting to find Pop Photo do a similar, but far more scientific
analysis, when they did a  comparison of brighter focusing screens.  Their
conclusion was the Minolta made Hasselblad screen and Maxwell Hi-Lux were
the top choices.

Why I am saying this?  Because for those R users currently using slower
lenses (F4 or slower), macro lenses, or extensions/bellows, A Hi-Lux screen
makes an incredible difference.  There is also a way of having the Hi-Lux
processing applied to your existing R focusing screen (around $70 if memory
serves).  For those interested call Bill Maxwell at 404-244-0095. He is also
quite a Leica Aficionado and does much of the Leicas repairs (Ms and Rs) for
KEH, so if nothing else it will be a good conversation.

Peter K