Subject: Re: [Leica] UV or not UV
From: "4Season" <4Season@boulder.net>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 10:29:24 -0600

- -----Original Message-----
From: Albert Daddario <adaddario@hotmail.com>

>I've heard that putting a UV filter on a Leica lens is akin to having a
>Porsche and towing a trailer! I'm new to all this ... should I  use one?
>All suggestions are greatly appreciated! AD

From a practical point of view, *sometimes* it makes sense to use a UV
filter: If the lens in question has a pretty exposed front element, and the
cap sometimes pops off in your bag. Others have suggested that errant caps
are the leading cause of scratched front elements (I say it's overcleaning!)
and prefer not capping the lens at all while it's safe in it's own padded
compartment. That technique works pretty good too, but you do have to
periodically blow the lint off the glass :-)

If you own something like the 35 Summicron-M Asph, forget it; with the hood
in place, the front element is so deeply recessed that you'd have to try
pretty hard to muck it up.

Jeff