Subject: Re: [Leica] ownership of negs.
From: csocolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 17:17:55 -0400

"Moore,Andrew" wrote:

> When I shoot portraits (etc.) for friends, I (an amateur photog)
> usually retain the negatives, and I deliver prints.
>
> Next month I'll be shooting an event for a company, which wants
> to "buy out" the negatives from the hour-long shoot.  At risk of
> starting a "how much should I charge" thread (we've been through
> that one), can any LUGgers with experience in this area give me an
> idea as to how this sort of "buy out" might affect the cost of the job?
> I'm not necessarily asking for specific prices (it will vary with region
> and probably a million other variables).
>
> The shoot will be an hour long, on location, documentary/journalistic
> style, on color negative film.  The company will be using these photos
> internally (displays, etc.) and probably in trade journals and maybe a
> local newspaper.
>
> --Andrew
> no archive

Andrew,

Much as I dislike selling my negs I have done so both for the client's
convenience in meeting deadlines or because I felt the negs had little
subsequent value after the initial shoot and ordering of repints.
Generally, what I do is charge a percentage of the cost of the shoot.
The percentage might be higher if I believe that there is a larger
amount of potential income from reprints. It might be lower if I think
they're only going to order reprints once. For one client we worked an
arrangement where I charge a higher percentage when the cost of the
shoot is lower and a lower percentage the more the shoot costs.

I generally base the percentage anywhere between 20 and 50% based on the
above variables, loyalty and working relationship with the client, the
asshole factor, and whether I want to deal with them again.

Finally, don't forget, once they have the negs you have no recourse. Get
some payment before you turn them over. The hard lesson I've learned,
especially with new clients, is that I would rather be sued for failure
to perform to expectations once I have their money (because I know I'm
honorable, professional and will make good on my product and services
this won't happen) than having to sue someone who's using my images and
hasn't paid me yet.
- --
Carl Socolow

http://members.tripod.com/SocPhoto/