Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: "demos"
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 20:32:34 -0700

Marc James Small wrote:

> At 12:01 PM 5/30/99 +1000, Horst Schmidt wrote:
> >
> >Jim,I'm also curious, How you just don't get it. What's wrong with
> discussing and
> >criticizing Leica products on this forum. Especially if it is legitimate. If
> >people encounter problems with Leica equipment, or service, then it should be
> >aired.
>
> Horst
>
> Nothing at all is wrong with a balanced discussion of Leica, its equipment,
> the use of the equipment, and even of corporate policy.  But Jim is right:
> DonJR is simply negative, negative, negative.  He has attacked the quality
> of Leica equipment. He has denigrated every corporate decision ever made --
> hell, if he had thought of it, he probably would have assailed Ernst Leitz
> II for hiring Barnack away from ICA.  He has attacked quality control.  He
> has attacked ... everything.
>
> DonJR has never had a single nice thing to say about Leica.  He doesn't
> discuss:  he hands down pronouncements about how awful everything connected
> with Leica is.
>
> Given his apparent attitude towards Leica and things Leica, Jim's question
> is dead on-target:  if you dislike the system so much, why do you keep
> posting to a list of those who use the gear and are, all in all, happy with
> it?  If DonJR wants to DISCUSS Leica, that's a different matter:  but, to
> this point, he has shown no interest in this, but only in denigrating and
> attacking, and, from what I have seen, relying on invalid analyses and
> untrue claims.
>
> Marc

I think DonJR is a corporate guy which most of us aint. A corporate
perspective most of us don't got. Let's not forget his big gripe about
the pressure plates which we all went nuts over turned out to have some
basis in reality and myself and many of us were in crow eating mode. The
pressure plates were badly made. Leica put them in cameras and let them
out the door. I never would have believed it. But we all found out if we
didn't already know about the making of parts by all these other
companies and even Sherry is aware and concerned about bad parts.
I feel positive about the new guy on top and about the whole Leica
thing. DonJR isn't bumming me out he hasn't got a patent on negative
energy. I think taking shots at the top guy before he gets a chance is
unfair but I will admit to being way out of bounds and overly negative
on plenty of issues. We can all be pretty dark. Why single this guy out?
Leicanut
Mark Rabiner