Subject: Re: [Leica] Useful tripod ?
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 09:20:40 EDT

In a message dated 6/15/99 3:43:09 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
mrabiner@concentric.net writes:

<< 4season wrote:

 > For the life of me, I've never been able to figure out what the point of
 > the Leica tripod was! Rigid, yes, but not too versatile. I believe
 ><snip>Me, I'd rather have an itty-bitty Gitzo 026.
 >
 > Jeff

 That's a little small. Ever use it? Much more usable for a camera with a
 waist level finder.
 You think you're going to crouch down? No. Your not going to use the
 tripod. At that size you might actually have it with you as it attaches
 to the bottom of your camera bag. But use it? As a table top maybe. 35mm
 cameras are primarily eye level cameras, and as such though smaller than
 other formats require a tripod that will be steady at eye level. That's
 darn high. Waist level is way lower than that. That 0## series Gitzo of
 yours is perfect for a Rolleiflex believe it or not and I'm not
 forgetting this is my opinion. >>

In my experience the 026 Gitzo is a great backpacker tripod.  Getting down on
one (or both) knee is still more comfortable than lying on your belly, and
for scenic photography (mostly distant scenes @ infinity) the difference in
viewing angle is slight.  In fact, with extreme wide angles the low height
helps to capture foreground without tilting the camera down.  I first read of
this tripod in a book by Galen Rowell and like most of his suggestions I
found it was a good one.  The biggest problem to a short tripod like the 026
(and I don't use the 2 section center column, just a shortie that keeps the
ballhead right over the leg cluster) is shooting over tall grass, weeds, etc.
 Again, I only carry the 026 when any larger tripod is out of the question.
My 1st choice is the carbon fiber 1228.
In an urban setting, though, the 026 is fairly useless.  Ironically, the
Leitz table tripod is very useful in such a situation.  There are all sorts
of places you can rest it on.  You also have to think past the traditional
(horizontal surfaces and leaving the camera untended) and use it to steady
the camera against doorposts, walls, tree-trunks, automobiles, dumpsters,
rocks, signposts.  Even using it as a chest-brace.  I always keep one in the
back pocket of my photo vest (have to be careful when you sit!).

DT