Subject: Re: [Leica]M6 vs F100
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 21:31:11 -0700

Bill O'Connell wrote:

> Mark,
>   Don't be so sure about not getting the 135 by semi-looking.  Ask Pat about the noct
> he sold me while I was semi-looking for one of them.
>   IF I need a 200?  Seems a strange way of putting it.  I think I do and since I'm the
> one burning film it gets to be my choice, especially since I have both.  I am aware of
> the limits of the M6 with lenses but it doesn't mean I can't use it for other types of
> photography.  Yes, it's not my camera for track stuff but still a good tool for other
> uses.  For instance, that is what I took to Ireland and left the Nikon SLR that you
> seem to think I have an undying love for.   Sort of like any other craft, it sometimes
> takes more then one tool to do the job.
>
> Mark Rabiner wrote:
>
> >  Bill
> >
> > IF you really need a 200 than a Leica M6 is not your camera is it?
> > I have a new 135 for my M and the results I get from it would discourage
> > me from bringing one of my Nikons with my 200 Nikkor along.
> > That lens sits on the shelf with most of my Nikon gear and tries not to
> > collect dust.
> > I feel this new 135 APO redefines what can be done with a Leica M.
> > But it cost a chunk of change.
> > Your not going to get it if you have been "semi been looking for a 135".
> > You might have to stop by the bank first.
> > Then go to the camera store.
> > And loose some of your undying love for Nikon SLR.
> > Mark Rabiner

To be more clear you said you used a 200 most of the time you were
trackside.
The question is would the 135 on an M do the job and how interested
would you be to really find out.
IF it were me I would try to do it if at all possible with the 135 on
the Leica M. IF it's too short it's too short but I would try it first
to really find out because for me at this time it is no fun going back
to Nikon.
I could have been more clear on this.
But the M isn't going to compete for your need of a 300 although I don't
much about the Viso thing yet.
My "undying love" phrase was a bit strongly put but you got me going by
quickly brushing off the usefulness of the Leica M.
It's an excellent camera for telephoto work. Others don't think so. I
think they are wrong.
Mark Rabiner