Subject: [Leica] Tripod Attachment
From: Ron and BeeLian Miller <rkmiller001@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 15:09:08 -0700

Hi Mark,

> Shooting vertical with my tripods and the off center tripod hole the camera is brought right into my eye perfectly.

A little more height, i'd say

> One of my best shots was with a cable release and I lifted the collapsed tripod over my head so it was in an effect a boom shot from overhead the camera 4 feet above my head, and this was on the run with swish effect. I'm darn proud of that shot and had been hired  as a result of it at least once I felt.

We'll have to see that shot one day. Got a scanner?

> Mine is a $40 Cullman made in of all places Germany. A Linhof might be the way to go if you had say $100 in your back pocket or multitudinous Swiss companies have come out with a slew of over machined pricey marvels some of which are a bit delicate. Considering that it is the interface between your camera and your tripod I should be putting more thought into them instead of just getting what I see in the store. Most of my heads are Gitzo of about 10 years ago. Better lighter heads are made. And ballheads are not the answer to everything. More traditional Heads with twisting levers are great for some things, larger cameras.  The Cullman works great for much of my Leica use though. It aint broke so I'm not fixing it. How smooth does it need to be?
> Mark Rabiner

I see some pavement pounding research looming ahead, if i'm to find the
right "fit".  Here's what i already have: A simple quick release piece
(2 1/2 x 1 inch wide) that fits under the off-center tripod hole. That
mount is made to fit onto a Bogen 3030 head (swivels on 3 different
axis-levers)  which sits on a Bogen 3001 tripod. Currently shoot with
an M6/35mm and a C**** SLR/50mm & 135mm.

Occasionally, i have wanted to do panorama shots, so having the camera
centered over the tripod helps.  Dont think i need a ball head but many
LUGgers have said it makes operating it easier, though  less exact. In
any case, i'll have to mull over this carefully. Do i really want to
change heads? Can i keep my Bogen Setup intact and just add a centered
quickrelease plate that is compatible with Bogen 3030? I'm not loaded
with spare change so i'm looking for the best utility money can buy.
Where can i find Cullman or Linhof products distributed in the U.S.?

thanks,
bee lian