Subject: Re: [Leica] 24mm M view finder
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 09:32:05 EDT

sanderva@yahoo.com writes:

<< Why not try the Contax 21mm finder? Most finders show
 a little, or more, less than the advertised
 equivalent, so my experience is that the 21 finder
 gives a nice 24 mm view!

 I tried it at 10 merters and it really is the 24mm
 view. It is made of sturdy metal and looks groovy on
 your M6.  >>

I've been through *all* the finders!
The Contax finder is twice the size of the Leitz finder.  Even bigger is the
Avenon finder (36mm dia front lens, like an LTM lens!).  Both of them also
really should have lens shades, they flare atrociously.  The Avenon finder
has a much larger image than the Leitz finder but you can't see it all with
glasses and the eyepiece is metal and will scratch plastic eyeglasses.  The
last two apply to the Russian 20mm finder as well.  The newer plastic Leitz
finders are the most low-profile, high-eyepoint of the current crop.  They
are brighter than the older, metal Leitz finders.  Also, they're less likely
to crack the glass if you drop one (lighter and plastic absorbs shock).  I've
never had a pedestal break off, but I do install and remove them slowly and
gently,  applying pressure toward, not away from the shoe so that there's no
leverage being applied to the pedestal.

DT