Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Travel Security
From: Jim Bauman <jbauman@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 10:20:09 -0700

>I wonder, have any members of LUG been robbed while traveling?
>Bill Lawlor

I was in Rome in 1976 during the Red Brigade parades in the streets. I thought
I was inconspicuous with an M4 and M2 and no camera bag.  As the "commando" part of the parade appeared, an advance party approached all photographers and told us "no pictures!"  a minute later, in one fluid motion, I raised the M2 to my eye,snapped a shot, and lowered the camera. Dumb I guess, but it was a great shot of all these camo-laden guys with red bandanas covering their faces.

I was immediately surrounded by three thugs who demanded my film, exclaiming "You CIA ... give us film."  I said "No, I'm a tourista!" No luck. One started to grab the M2, and I figured that the film wasn't worth damage to my precious camera... so I unloaded BOTH cameras (at their insistance) and exposed the film. I wasn't about to give them free pictures, OR my equipment.

Jim Bauman
ex CIA, naturally