Subject: Re: [Leica]OT:Dallas is very definitely planning an INTERNET TAX
From: Mark Walberg <Walberg@simmons.swmed.edu>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 13:05:09 +0100

Well, local governments are trying to tax the net for sure, say front page
Dallas Morning News stories.
Ron Kirk, mayor of Dallas, is now campaigning to tax as much net use as he
can in Dallas.  He says that the city taxes everting else, so why should
the net not be taxed.
  Mayor Kirk makes the following promise, "If you have a short circuit and
your computer catches on fire, we promise to send a virtual fire truck.  On
the other hand, if you pay internet taxes, we will send a real big red fire
truck."

So, it is definitely not a hoax in Dallas.
By the way, Ron Kirk is the same mayor who helped get taxpayers to give mor
than .125 Billion (with a big B) dollars to Ross Perot Jr and Mr. Hicks to
build a basketball arena which they claim will become a giant economic
engine that will bring a huge number of well paying jobs to Dallas
(something like DFW airport has done).
- -Another Mark