Subject: [Leica] OFF-TOPIC: Road Rage
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 18:29:10 -0400

Road rage often results from efforts to avoid ditzy drivers.  We have a
cultural dynamic afloat in the US that "slow is safe" and "cautious is
good":  we never seem to ticket the moron who stops in an acceleration lane
to avoid the truck a quarter-mile off driving 25 mph, which stopped driver
causes a multiple series of wrecks, though we will become enraged over a
person driving 26 mph through a 25 mph residential zone.

Fast, aggressive drivers can be extremely safe drivers.  The problem is
just that the police seem to feel more pleasure in nailing marginal
speeders and the like than in pulling folks over for the really dangerous
stuff, like not using turn signals when changing lanes or cruising in the
passing lane on an Interstate (that's "motorway" to our British members and
"four-lane dirt road" to our Canadian brethren and sistren), even though
such negligence causes far more accidents than mere speed.

The American Interstate system was designed to accomodate 70 mph travel
with 1956 sedans.  Go find someone who has, say, an old Edsel or Chevy and
take it out for a spin.  See how vastly better your current vehicle handles
than those old crates.  By the rational logic of engineering, these same
construction standards should allow us to be flowing along at 90 mph or 100
mph today.

But, with an aging population, what can we do?  My local politicos all have
told me that they are deluged whenever a speed-limit issue comes up by
buckets of mail and phone calls and even e-mail from all the local
retirement communities ...

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!