Subject: [Leica] London visit
From: Gerry Walden <gerrywalden@cwcom.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 06:44:58 +0100

Richard

A great place to visit in London is the Victoria and Albert Museum which
not only has a good photography exhibition area but also houses a major
collection of prints from many of the great photographers that you can
handle and study.   Go to the Print Room on 4th floor (I think!) and you
will find card indexes of all the photographers they have work by.   I
have had many a thrilling time handling original prints by
Cartier-Bresson, Doissneau etc., and studying their choice in paper,
retouching etc.

There is also currently an exhibition of David Bailey at the Barbican
Centre, and I think the Terance Donovan show is still up at the London
Museum.   I have not seen the Donovan (who I spent a day working with
once) and I found the Bailey a bit repetative in that it is his work
from the 60's and all of a similar "Vogue" style.

If I can help further contact me privately by email and I will give you
telephone numbers to contact me on.

Gerry