Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: powerpack voltages
From: Harrison McClary <harrison@mcclary.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 15:26:08 -0500

Mark,

Don't know about the Balcar but the older White Lightinings pop at 120V
the new ones are around 23-25 volts.....call them they will tell you
which is which..it is very easy to tell...I forget the tell tales but it
is something to do with the fuse on the back of the unit...assuming you
are using the Ultra serries.

Also your older manual cameras are safe as are the Leica M's.  I had
someone explain it to me that you could use too high a voltage unit for
years and have no problems and then WHAM it shorts out your
camera...conversly you could plug in your camra the first time and pop it
zaps your camera.....not always easy to predict.  And it will only zap
the newer electronic cameras.  Older Nikons, Hasselblads (maybe newer
ones also??), Rolleiflexes, Leica M's do not have the electronic circuity
to get fried.

Hope this made sense.

Think I'll go have a six pack now...conehead style.  ;)

On 7/25/99 2:39 PM Mark Rabiner wrote:

>I've been using the same Balcar A1200 pack for decades and some White
>Lightning's. Any take on that? I guess my Nikons Hasselblads Rolleiflex and
>Leica M's are fry proof?

Best regards,
Harrison McClary
email: harrison@mcclary.net