Subject: Re: [Leica] Why use leica?
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 19:07:41 +0000

>>Guy --
>>
>>I'm not sure why you care, except to see how long a string you can get going
>>on this thing.
>>
>>Why use leica? Why did Hillary climb Everest? It suited him, and Leicas suit
>>some people nicely. They don't suit others.
>>
>>Why don't more pros use Leica? Not enough technical toys and they cost more
>>than most purchasing managers are willing to pay. Quality has nothing to do
>>with it. Pros are like everyone else and follow trends and fads, and right
>>now the biggest fad/trend (except for digital) is represented in the f-5 by
>>Nikon, which I am sure most pros use in the manual mode anyway. But you
>>should hear the photogs at the paper I work at complain if they are
forced to
>>use those horrible, horrible F4s or even (gawd forbid) the N90s.
>>
>>They all drool over my M3, however, but can't afford one.
>>
>>Did you know, by the way, that Hillary took not a Leica to the top of
>>Everest, but a Retina? Yup, a cheap little folder from Kodak, and it worked
>>just fine.
>>
>>ctrentelman
>>Ogden Utah

Why does one choose a particular camera?  To some, it is a matter of
getting the image which after a while is soon forgotten. However the job is
done and the person is paid for the assignement.  So why spend more in the
process?   Any camera capable of doing the job would do!  Nothing wrong
with that.

Why do some choose a Leica?  From responses over the past few days, there
are many reasons why people prefer the Leica.  For me it's purely chemistry
and a personal relationship with a camera which I get excited when using.
Purely subjective, purely emotional.

If you like using the Nikon F5, go ahead and use it.  No need to justify
the reasons.  The Singapore team that went to Mt Everest used the Contax T2
and some other brand names. The T2 was presented to them by the agent for
Contax cameras.  I was there at the presentation ceremony.   They got the
pictures they wanted.....whether it was with their T2 or with Brand X ....
and everybody was happy.  Why split hairs?

Making an image is not difficult.  Get any good camera and a good lens and
you can get the job done.  Beyond that, you can talk "bokeh" and what have
you until the cows get home and nobody is happy to agree.   Using a leica
is no different.  You still get the image but not everybody will agree with
me that my image taken with a $2000+ lens is better than theirs taken with
a Nipkor costing a 1/5 of that.  It's all a matter of aesthetics.  It's no
different than trying to say that the woman I married looks better than the
one you did!!   Sure, go for charts and lens tests .... in the end, we are
still in square one.

I have many countless prints which I like but which have not qualified as
winning images in photo contests.  That does not stop me from taking
photos.  Photography satisfies a part of me which is creative and it is
fulfilling enough just to make those images.   My Leica is part of that
process....

Dan K.
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep
                      in order to gain what he cannot lose."