Subject: RE: [Leica] Black tape...
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 12:54:44 -0700

> Why does some people stick black tape on their leicas?
> Could anyone introduce me...? I`m new to this game...

It's a practice that started many years ago with street photographers such
as Cartier-Bresson, who felt that the chrome cameras of the time might
attract the subject's attention.  To counter this they covered the chrome
parts of the camera with black tape.

Nowadays, with black camera bodies, this is less of a concern.  One thing
some people are concerned about on current Leicas is the big red dot with
the Leica logo which is prominently visible on the front of the camera.
They feel this may attract attention, in particular the attention of
thieves, so they cover it with a bit of black tape.  Many people make fun of
them for this :-)

Welcome to the LUG,
Paul Chefurka