Subject: Re: [Leica] Black tape...
From: csocolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 17:20:09 -0400

Peter Kristoffersen wrote:

> Why does some people stick black tape on their leicas?
> Could anyone introduce me...? I`m new to this game...
>
> Peter
> Norway

Peter, Peter, Peter,

You must never ask this question because the answers will go on forever.
The primary reason is to make chrome-bodied cameras inconspicuous,
especially for low-key street photography. Leica originally made chrome
bodies and then later made black bodies. Some of these early black
bodies were done as custom jobs for special clients. They tend to be
sought by collectors nowadays and therefore are very expensive. Later,
they offered both chrome and black-bodied models and, in the case of the
M6HM only black bodies.

When I work I usually wear a black shirt or jacket and keep a black M6
under my arm or around my neck. It is very difficult to see that you're
carrying a camera. I use black Dymo label tape to cover names and logos.
It doesn't leave a residue.

I should also add that some people (I won't mention names, Dr.) have
blacktape fetishes and other personality disorders. :-)

- --
Carl Socolow

http://members.tripod.com/SocPhoto/