Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Special Edition M6s
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 03:25:43 +0000

Friends

I apologise if, in my earlier post, the use of the words "pitiful
collectors" have ruffled a few feathers and riled a few other souls.  The
expression was not intended to be derogatory towards anybody.

I find the Leica collector spirit (or cult as some may like to call it)
rather interesting, perhaps even amusing and unpredictable.  I remember at
one time, the M4s were highly sought after; then the M2 and the M5 had
their day as well.  I see a form of rotational interest which is reflected
in the prices of these cameras.  This occurs inspite of the finite numbers
of these older cameras in existence.  I have yet to understand the reason
behind this rotational phenomenon.  Then there are the limited edition
Leicas and special consignments in small numbers which are firmly in the
hands of collectors until circumstances of various sorts release these
bodies into circulation at prices beyond the grasp of the average Leica
user.  I have personally not seen someone using any of these to take pictures.

Would I use a LHSA black painted model costing $3000 if I have the
opportunity to lay my hands on one?  Sure I would and I would even welcome
the TTL facility.  I am already using my M6HM which has now attained
collectible status (now priced at $2200 or so) and I am having puhlenty of
fun with the 0.85x viewfinder.   With those unpredictable rotational
interest in Leicas, I am not sure that it is really a good investment to
keep it in the box.

So while the notion of collectors maintaining the value of our precious
leicas may seem attractive,  I do not see in what way those collectors with
their Ein Stuck, Rooster, LHSA, M6J bodies, double ASPH 35 summiluxes and
single ASPH Noctiluxes, and Thambar lenses, and what have they is
contributing to the good value of the leicas that you and I are using
everyday.

I would  like to put to you that Leica is keeping its value because the
camera is a reliable device which, being mechanical, works day in and day
out without reliance on batteries and often troublesome electronics.  It is
hardy and one can find a 40 year old camera in GWC capable of giving years
of good service if well cared for.  The design is elegant and aesthetically
pleasing.  There are numerous models to choose from, and in various
conditions to suit individual budgets.  Every one is well supported by a
vast range of lenses, which when found in good condition, are all capable
of producing good pictures.   The M camera, being faster in terms of
response time, is also capable of pulling in those shots and expressions
which are not possible with an SLR.  For others, there is that special
chemistry which develops into a form of personal relationship with their
leicas.  In short, even in the absence of collectors, Leica is capable of
selling itself and keeping its value.

Dan K.

                    "A fool and his money are soon parted."