Subject: Re: [Leica] M4-P questions
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 21:56:31 EDT

Eric. The Leica logo on the M4P was stamped in on the brass top-plate version
and in the later zinc-die cast top plate it was cast into the top at the
casting stage. It is easy to figure out if your M4P has a brass or zinc
top-plate. If the rangefinder windows (the small one and the light gathering
one and the viewfinder window) are flush with the edge of the housing, it is
a zinc top-plate. If the windows are recessed into the top-plate it has the
brass top-plate. The switch over was made at around # 1610 000, although I
have seen zinc top plates on cameras as early as # 1580 000 and brass one's
on cameras as late as 1620 000. The M4P has its serial number engraved on the
accessory shoe and the top plates can be changed around. The # 1580 000 was
most likely one that had its top plate replaced at some time and the late
numbered one could have been one put together from parts. The latest version
of the M4P, from around 1650 000 had only one synch out let on the back. I
have only seen this version with the zinc top plate. Mine is 1650 xxx (no
snobbery, only that the camera at my workshop and I am not)! and it is a
M4-P3, it has a M3 finder installed in it. Great camera and it has survived 8
month of being used as a testbench for Rapidwinders as well as being a good
user. It probably goes through the equivalent of 30-40 rolls of film every
day, week in week out and it is still working fine. The M4P is a very rugged
camera and apart from some specials seems to resist 'collectible" status and
hence is still reasonably priced.
Tom A