Subject: [Leica] Re: outsourcing components
From: "Roger Beamon" <roger@beamon.org>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 08:47:49 -0700

On 2 Aug 99, DonjR43198@aol.com wrote, at least in part:

> What you stated is not my view.  "Manufacture" is defined in Websters as "
> 1: to make into a product suitable for use 2a : to make from raw materials
> by hand or by machinery b: to produce according to an organized plan and
> with division of labor" while "assemble" is defined as "the fitting
> together of manufactured parts into a complete machine, structure, or unit
> of a machine."

Don, Don, Don, Solms qualifies under both 1. and 2b. of your own
look-up above. Must it meet 2a. to the letter? I think not. Would it
make you happy to have Solms described as *both* a
manufacturer and an assembler. It is! It is probably true that
virtually all manufacturing requires assembly to some extent.

> If there is some percentage of parts farmed out and parts produced
> in-house, maybe Mr. Puts would be so kind to provide a list of parts of
> the M-6 that are produced in-house by Solms and those that are produced by
> others than Solms.  Then we might have an agreed upon basis for
> determining whether Solms is a manufacturer of the M-6.

I doubt that Erwin knows all of the outsourced parts, and it
certainly isn't his responsibility to list them if he did. Certainly not
to merely add fuel to your pissing contest.

- --
Roger
mailto:roger@beamon.org

   Thought for the day: