Subject: Re: [Leica] outsourcing components
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 11:56:36 -0400

At 11:29 AM 8/4/1999 EDT, Don Rorschach, Jr.,  wrote:
>The question of what M-6 parts does Solms manufacture and what parts does it
>buy still has not been answered.

Don

I doubt if this information is available outside of the company and, in any
event, would be a list of several thousand parts.  Are you SURE you really
want to read through this?  Screw x-98-3274 -- supplied by Thorsen
Schraubefaktorie Worms, their p/n 56789-oiu, price, DM 0.31 per thousand.
Yikes, lad, you would HAVE to be a masochist to want this sort of detail!

American car companies disassemble their competitor's products to find out
which parts they make in-house and which are out-sourced.  It is not
uncommon for GM to find, for instance, that they are the ultimate supplier
of an assembly in a Ford car which has been purchased through middle-men.

With the Leica M, we know that the RF assemblies are made in-house, and I
believe the shutters are as well as the lens mounts.  If Leica can find a
reputable source from which to buy their nuts, bolts, and screws which go
into these components, who am I to complain, so long as it keeps the cost
down.  Some parts for the R cameras are made at the Leica plant in Portugal
but, what the hey, does it really matter whether the component is made in
Portugal or Germany under your criteria, as it is still made in a "Leica"
plant.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!