Subject: Re: [Leica] OT Print Development Time
From: Malcolm McCullough <blayne@mbox2.singnet.com.sg>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 21:20:50 +0800

>What kind of developer are you using for this method, or does it matter?
>
>Bob

Bob,
I don't think that it is specific to one dev/paper combination. Maybe it
doesn't need 8 minutes with all combinations. I wish that I could remember
what Tom Cooper uses. I confess that I use PQ Universal or Dektol with Agfa
fibre-based papers.

BTW I'm not saying that this method is the 'best' - I'm just suggesting
that may be worth a test to see if you like the difference that long
development without agitation makes. Perhaps I should have added that I use
it for landscape work, but not for people.

I have found the effect to be slightly similar to 'chemical dodging', but
without the mess. Jock Sturges showed me that when I was his assistant for
a short time many moons ago (I still have a Nikomat with J Sturges
scratched in the side - he changed from Nikon to Leica M). I have never
come across anyone else who has used the technique - you develop the print
on the easel. The sequence goes: pre-soak, flatten onto easel, initial
shadow exposure, squeegee on developer, allow to develop, give successive
short exposures until you have the desired density in the highlights by
inspection then drop it into the stop. Has anyone else come across this?

Regards,
Malcolm
PS The Jock Sturges I knew worked for the Nat Geog. I didn't keep in touch,
and I  don't know if he is the same JS as the (in?)famous Jock Sturges.