Subject: Re: [Leica] Another Leica vs medium format debate
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 10:34:32 -0400

Gib-
Well, I am going to weigh in here with my 2 cents worth! I hope I am not
being filtered out at too many places!
You have a good point, and it goes back to the argument that if the only
tool you have is a hammer, then all the tasks you have will involve
hammering nails!
Indeed, I have seen some really nice landscapes in 35mm, George Lauterstein
comes to my little envious mind, immediately! But if you've ever seen an
actual Adams print, up close and personal, then you can no doubt appreciate
the quality of a large negative.
I have always admired Eisenstadt's studies/portraits of the thirties and
forties that he did with the Leica- the one of Reichminister Goebbels
glaring into the lens like an angry viper shows exactly the value of a
small, light, camera that can get in and capture the 'moment'! I am sure
that even with a camera as small as a Rollei, he might not have had such a
powerful, provocative image! I say provocative in that it provokes and
immediate feeling of dread and foreboding.
It really comes down to a matter of apples and oranges; both are good, and
good for you, but are different, each in their own advantageous way.... And
that's probably whay I am on the Leica list, and the Rollei list!
Dan