Subject: [Leica] Re: Minolta CLE Rokkors
From: pieter@world.std.com (Pieter Bras)
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 10:39:46 -0400

Sean McTigue <smctigue@amscan.com> wrote:

> Has anyone had any experience with the CLE Rokkors.  How do these lenses
> compare to Leica M's of siimilar focal lengths?

Take a look at Stephen Gandy's website:
http://www.cameraquest.com/classics.htm

My own experience is with the 90mm f/4 CLE Rokkor.  90mm is a focal
length that I don't have much use for, as I prefer to use 21-35-50.
I bought it very inexpensively so I'd have something for those
infrequent occasions.  Afterwards, I found an 90mm f/2.8 chrome Elmarit
(first version), also very cheap.

Compared to the CLE Rokkor, the old Elmarit has lower contrast, is more
subject to flare, and exhibits noticeable field curvature wide open.
However it produces the most beautiful portraits of any lens I've seen --
detailed subject and soft, luminous out-of-focus backgrounds.

The CLE Rokkor has a more modern look:  high contrast, flare-resistant,
and flat field.  I think it's excellent for landscapes (which I don't do
with a telephoto).  On the downside it's only f/4 wide open, but then can
buy it for 1/2 to 1/3 the price of the "thin" Tele-Elmarit.

Other things to note about the CLE Rokkor:

 It has 40.5mm filter threads, which none of the Leitz/Leica lenses use.

 It takes a (hard-to-find and expensive) collapsible rubber screw-in hood.
 I'm looking for a 40.5mm metal screw-in hood to replace it.

 The focusing cam is slightly angled and this could give the appearance
 of a focusing error at infinity (which will vary from one camera body to
 another) but in fact this effect is inconsequential at f/4.  (Yes, I know,
 Stephen Gandy claims this lens has a parallel focusing cam but it just
 ain't true, so no flames, please.)

The CLE Rokkor can be identified by having its serial number on the lens
barrel (mounting ring) and "40.5mm" on the filter ring.

I'm happy with mine, although it gets very little use.

- --
Pieter Bras