Subject: Re: [Leica] Photos at the Vatican???
From: "Edward J Kowaleski" <edwardkg@umd.umich.edu>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 09:16:42 -0400 (EDT)

I've been fortunate to be able to visit St.Peter's and the Sistine three
times in the last five years.  Generally, no one will object to you taking
pictures with hand-held equipment.  The problem is getting adequate light;
better use ISO 400 film.

Both sites are almost always filled with tourists; in the Sistine it is
sometimes very difficult and the place is crowded beyond belief.  I
have
used a small table-top tripod against a wall or railing on occasion but if
you are too obvious the guards or deacons will politely tell you to stop.

On occasion I have seen people set up large tripods in St.Peter's (never
in the Sistine) but they always had streams of badges and plastic covered
permission slips all over their equipment and themselves; obviously
someone is empowered to give you permission to set up a tripod but I've
never been able to find their office.  Lots of Luck.

Ed Kowaleski
edwardkg@skye.umd.umich.edu