Subject: [Leica] M and R (was R8 Thoughts)
From: Ericplatt@aol.com
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 19:16:14 EDT

I've been finding this debate interesting.  When I went for my M4-P, one of
the things I traded for it was an R3 with a couple of lenses (50/2 Canada and
80-200/4.5 Japan).  Both were very nice lenses, and they took the best photos
of all the cameras I had tried before.  I had felt that maybe I had made a
"lateral" move with the M4-P, because my first few rolls were on color print
film (mostly the new Agfa) and while it was nice, it wasn't "that" much
better.  Then I shot my first roll of slide film.  Kodak E100VS.  I hadn't
liked this brand in either the R3 or a couple of N*k*ns I had tried out (or,
for that matter a C*nt*x SLR I had tried).  But with the M4-P, WOW!
Brilliant "correct" color.  I shoot mostly railroad and stationary objects,
and earlier the E100VS was just "wrong" color wise.  On the Leica, it is
great.  I'm getting better color resolution, plus more detail than in any
earlier camera I had (including a CLE).  Now I know I've made the right move.

BTW, the primary reason for the move was I wanted something to replace the
CLE I had.  It was nice, but just not what I needed.  I always carry a
camera, even on my way to work.  I've had no trouble loading it (I can unload
and load in 30 second, give or take 5 seconds) and that's without much
practice at it.

Eric Platt