Subject: [Leica] followup, 8mm fisheye option RE: Leitz lenses on medium format
From: Robert Monaghan <rmonagha@post.cis.smu.edu>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 01:50:49 -0500 (CDT)

Yep, usually it is the tele-lenses in 35mm that do best when used on
6x4.5cm or 6cm x 6cm, as they have lots of coverage, the wide angles alas
don't work well on wider formats (barely cover 35mm as it is due to cos^4)

however, to followup on Jonathan's lament, some of the zeiss design
fisheyes (such as the $250 US 6x6cm Kiev-88 variants) have been remounted
into custom made/modified view cameras for 4x5 - neat circular image
according to noted photogr. Roger Hicks in Brit. Jrnl of Phot. article

It may be of interest to a few LUG-types who would like to try an 8mm 180
degree circular fisheye effect to know that there are some inexpensive
front of the lens fisheye adapters that provide such effects on both 35mm
SLR and RF cameras, mounting on the filter threads of these lenses. Cost
is very low, circa $50 US up, and quality is less sharp in edges and less
contrasty than a prime (esp. a Leitz prime ;-), but I've found the image
defects are not noticed in my slide shows, and it adds a lot of fun to my
photography see http://www.smu.edu/~rmonagha/bronfe.html for details...

regards to all- bobm