Subject: Re: [Leica] Death Spiral
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 11:26:42 -0400

to waiver from the topic a bit, but I got to thinking that a lens with 5000
lpmm resolution might not be an idea photographic lens, or even close! We
talk about bokeh, and the esthetic rendition of a lens and how it makes the
photo have a special quality. I wonder if a lens capable of conveying ALL
the information of a scene might be really counter productive?
Any thoughts on that?
We talk about the great performance of the Leitz and Zeiss lenses, yet I
know several who put Softars on them to reduce that resolution! Several of
us have already spoken up in admiration for the 'olf fashion' look of the
photos taken in the early part of this century and earlier- with uncoated
and aberrant lenses all!
Personally, I think the Leica and Zeiss lenses strike a happy medium. I am
sure that if Nikon wanted the market, they could compete with Leica, but
then at what cost!
Dan
Pondering while it rains....