Subject: Re: [Leica] no pros use Leicas?
From: Dave Yoder <leica@home.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 21:06:47 -0700

I'd like to point out that a rather large number of newspaper photographers use
Leicas as their secondary or "special assignment" cameras. At my paper, the
Orange County Register (California), six of fourteen full-time staffers have at
least one Leica of some kind. Admittedly, two of them seldom use theirs, but
they keep them for future use. And I know that a number of photographers at the
LA Times use M's as secondary cameras.

Myself, I was dissapointed in the new EOS equipment issued to me last year and
felt I was at a junction--either go all digital, which my bosses expect me to do
within three years (we'll see about that!) or finally commit myself to producing
the best quality work I possibly can during this period that I still have all
the Fujichrome I can shoot at my disposal. So I went R's (I've used rangefinders
before and though I love them, I miss moments).

I anticipate there might be more newspaper photographers doing as I've done
after a period of seeing their best work rendered mediocre by a CCD. Since the
newspapers will be issuing only digital gear, and knowing how passionate about
their work photojournalists must be to succeed these days, I see more leicas
being bought to feed the passion. We didn't get into this for the money, after
all...

Dave Yoder