Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Monaghan the Clueless replies...
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 12:08:53 -0700

InfinityDT@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 8/23/99 11:43:21 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> jimbrick@photoaccess.com writes:
>
><snip> AF can be a great help. But for critical
>  focus, for most subjects, by most photographers (those who know the craft
><snip>
> Absolutely.  One reason the Nikon AF system was such a pain the butt until
> the AF-I and AF-S lenses came along, and why the Contax G "manual auto
> focusing" is likewise.  I sincerely hope that if and when Leica chooses to
> initiate AF into their R or M lines, there will be the opportunity for
> instantaneous user override plus the retention of sufficient finder acuity to
> permit manual focusing. ><snip>

I've had extensive experience with it and the reason why it frustrated me is
that fact that I've never HEARD of AF-I and AF-S lenes. What are they going to
think of next and who cares! I kicked it with the "D" Lenes so that dates me.
All my lenses because dated I spent close to $300 on an SB 24 flash which sets
the camera to 5.6 even when shooting something only inches away. It didn't know
have far away something was even with all those little gold contacts! At that
point every other AF camera system, Canon, Olympus, Minolta DID! Obviously an AF
lens would comunicate how far it was focasing to the camera from the very beginning!
I just don't choose to think of cameras as being like computers: archaic before
you get them home. I like my camera to have some resonance in the overall
timeline of my checkbook.
Mark Rabiner