Subject: [Leica] First results from new Noctilux!
From: Jim Laurel <jplaurel@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 15:19:55 -0700

After reading all the responses to my "Noctilux users sound off" post a few
weeks ago, and looking at some of the work Tina Manley has done with hers, I
decided to take the plunge.

Today, I received my first test roll, taken at a local Medieval faire.  The
faire turned out to be an ideal place to try the lens for the first time,
since it is located in a rather dark forested area near Seattle.

Having the ability to shoot at f1.0 is really an experience!  I have already
experienced comments from bystanders about how "that shot won't come out",
or "it's pretty dark in here, you'll need a flash".

I must say that I wasn't prepared for the results from this first shoot.  As
many here have said before, the Noctilux has a very distinctive fingerprint.
Out of focus areas are very, very smooth, and I find that it is a perfectly
fine lens for using in broad daylight.  Photographs taken outside at f2.0,
and 2.8 are great.  Judging from some of the comments I recieved, I had been
prepared for this to be a lens with limited applications (i.e., low light).
It's also a little heavy but, like the new APO 90, the weight seems to
dampen
camera shake.  And the increased throw of the focusing ring makes it easy to
focus very precisely.

Now I understand why so many of you rave about this lens.  It really extends
the capabilities of the Leica M system into situations that are just
unreachable with any other system.  Wonderful lens...

- --Jim