Subject: Re: [Leica] Publish your Leica Photos
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 02:16:11 -0700

Gwpics@aol.com wrote:

> Hans
>
> You may not care whether a publisher rips off your images to make a lot of
> money for himself, and give you nothing, but many of us do.   The disservice
> this does to professional photographers trying to make an honest buck is
> immense.   I do not know what industry you work in, but how would you feel if
> someone came along and sid 'That's OK, I will do everything you do for
> nothing'?
>
> This is an important issue for all photographers.   No one should give their
> work away with no care as to where and how it used.
>
> Gerry (UK)

A few exceptions on this one:
Hans here of course is attempting at no gain to provide a service, not a disservice.
We are free to pass if the offer seems overdubious.
Offering people an obvious shot at getting ripped of is unwise. People can get
very ungreatful.
Any person professional or otherwise who takes a photograph and then puts it up
for people to see only to have it used for anothers immense financial gain has
been ripped royally off... And should act and feel as such.
On a professional level we always have to deal with people who are starting out
and don't know the cost of maintaining a business.
There are points in a professionals career where they just really need the byline.
And People who start out will undercut you to all points of absurdity. That is
always there.
You know that person can not survive for long at those cut rates and you know
you can't because you used to be that cheap yourself... and raised your prices
before you went broke keeping your business afloat. And you kept your respect
among your peers.
And we live in a world were everyone is a photographer... if they only had a bit
more spare time...
Nonprofessionals will work just for the  byline. Our profession is so
wonderfully glamorous:) Everyone wants to be a rock star or a photographer. I'm
into changing the things I can change and be here now and float like a lite
leaf: the
whole bit.
Mark :-) Rabiner