Subject: Re: [Leica] Publish your Leica Photos
From: Henry Ambrose <digphoto@nashville.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 14:15:09 -0600

snipped
>About web publishing, I think it is almost impossible to protect pictures
>published on whatever site. However, most people you meet on the web are
>quite decent, and ask for permission before using pictures. But, how on
>earth can you make sure that a given picture is not used in a publication
>somewhere on the other side of the globe?

You cannot protect them.
There is not enough resolution to use them for printed work.

>Personally, I would hesitate to publish a picture anywhere on the web that
>might have a chance to bring in funds from an eventual publisher. I have
>only published pictures on the web that I regard as "my own", with little
>commercial interest to publishers. It is like showing pictures at the local
>amateur photo club, although on the web they can be seen by lots of people,
>if they ever find the way to my site.
Certainly the photos someone on the LUG might make for the documentation
of a camera model or the new little gadget they invented could be shared.

>If you have doubts that Microsoft MSN will use your pictures commercially,
>then it is best to keep them in your archives. You have my full
>understanding for this decision. But, let us at least agree to see the MSN
>publishing as a way to illustrate this or that feature of some lens we are
>discussing.

>Best,
>Hans
>

>> Hans

snip
>>  No one should give their  work away with no care as to where and how it
used.

>> Gerry (UK)

I do not worry too much about my pictures being stolen from the web.
Mostly, other than reposting it somewhere else, no one can do anything
with the image. There is not enough resolution to use them for printed
work. Maybe someone can download your picture and make a poor quality
print on their home printer, so what? If someone wants one of my pictures
for their refrigerator - great!

On the other hand if someone steals it and then uses it commercially you
can sue the hell out of them! You always have that recourse.

So your picture shows up on a Yahoo page as an ad banner - good for you!
If you can prove that you own it you're rich!

If no one ever sees your pictures why bother making them?

Henry Ambrose

(a commercial photographer who has had pictures stolenŠ
without the help of the internet)