Subject: Re: [Leica] kodachrome query
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 12:42:16 -0400

At 08:48 AM 8/24/1999 EDT, Charlie Trentelman wrote:
>Ektachrome, Agfa and so forth are a simpler process stolen from Germany's
>Agfa company during World War II (spoils of war) that involves dyes that are
>in the film when it is made and activated by the various layers being
exposed
>to light. It is a simpler process, able to be done in a local lab for less
>bux, so the local lab can turn E6 around in two hours.

I would object both to the history here and to your characterization of any
technological taking as "theft".  The US, UK, USSR, and France, and the
other Allies, were given carte blanche to take German technology as war
booty.  It was not "theft":  it was a simple taking, precisely in the same
way that the German acquisition of the Skoda arms works in 1938 was not
theft, but the outflowing of Tiso's cowardice.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!