Subject: Re: [Leica] colour correcting scanned pictures
From: Henry Ambrose <digphoto@nashville.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 09:08:56 -0600

>Hi All
>I had a question and was hoping someone knows a shortcut
>I'm planning to scan images of my obsolete stereo collection so I can
>put them on my future website. I don't want to use a flash because it
>forces me to use to use small an aperture and I need to fuzz out the
>background.
>Also, I hate the cold,  images that my flash produces as well as the
>reflections
>that seem to be there no matter what angle I point the flash from.
>Using a blue light is just too much of a hassle with the bulbs blowing out
>all the time.
>I'm using an R with an R lens making this a legitimate Leica posting.
>In any case I'de like to use Photoshop 4.0 to process the scans
>in order to eliminate the yellow tones from the artificial light.
>Is this easily do-able without loosing image quality or having to spend
>hours
>playing with the RGB settings? Does anyone know how??? (magic button maybe)
>Thanks
>Javier

Is there daylight where your things are to be photographed?

If so, then put your camera on a tripod, use daylight film, and use
whatever exposure the meter tells you. This should handle any color
correction problem - very simply.

If no daylight then what is the light source?

If its the usual interior lighting (incandescent, 3200K) buy some film
balanced for that light and do the same as above.

If you have a mix of the above you might eliminate one source and select
the appropriate film for whatever light source you use.

There are harder ways to do it. These are the simplest.

Henry Ambrose