Subject: Re: [Leica] Metering (was User report 25 Skopar)
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 09:39:46 -0500

At 10:40 AM 9/3/99 +0000, you wrote:
>As rough guide I adjust the exposure by one half
>step for each Adam's zone system step, but I would be interested to hear
>what adjustments other make.

Why would you go 1/2 stop for what amounts to 1 stop differences? But then,
to use the zone system right, you have to calibrate everything.

When I bought my first camera, I shot mostly slide film, which was good,
since it taught me to carefully expose film. And my best trick for shooting
in difficult light was simply to hold up my and like I would an incident
meter, and open up one stop. Same as a gray card reading, only having to
compensate. I rarely got bad exposures that way, after some practice on how
to hold my hand at the correct angle to the light.

The key here is practice. I was an amateur long before I was a professional.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

    My best work is often almost unconscious and occurs ahead of my ability
to understand it. -Sam Abell; "Stay This Moment"