Subject: [Leica] lenses
From: Doug Herr <Telyt@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 08:28:38 -0400

Chris Madigan wrote:

Ok, so I am new. I say that to excuse myself for any dumb questions I
may ask and to beg your indulgence. It makes sense that since Leica is a
German camera  it would be made the "best" at the original factory. Can
someone tell me why or how the German lenses (or bodies) are better than
the Canadian and how I can tell which is made where (particularly the
lenses). I am not Canadian if that helps.

<<<

Chris,

There's no reason to believe the country of origin has anything to do with
the quality of the equipment.  But, if it makes you feel better: if you
want your Leicas to have been made by the people who introduced APO lenses
to the general public, who designed and built high-resolution lenses for US
spy satelites, and who created superb optics like the 50mm Summicron-R, the
280mm f/4.8 Telyt-V, the Noctilux and others, buy Canadian!

Doug Herr
Sacramento