Subject: Re: [Leica] A mystery
From: Harrison McClary <harrison@mcclary.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 14:30:11 -0500

When I used to work in Atlanta one of our freelancers was one of the
Nikon Professional Services Repair techs as  his "day" job.

He said one should NEVER carry a big lens by the camera strap as the
mount was not designed to hold that much weight...the camera/lens should
be carried using the lens strap, or if supporting the unit with out a
strap support the lens very well, ie if ona tripod mount the lens on the
'pod.  He was talking about a 300 2.8 or such, but the Leica 80-200 2.8
is as heavy, if not heavier than the Nikon 300 2.8.

Also he said when setting a camera down it should be set on its back with
the lens pointing (or with a big lens is mounted with the lens pointing
straight down with the camera on top) up as continous pressure from the
leverage of the lens could warp the mount, esp if a longer lens like a
180 or such is mounted.   Considering he used to repair hundereds of
professional cameras and saw damage from this type of stuff I assume he
knew what he was talking about.

On 9/4/99 1:58 PM Robert G. Stevens wrote:

>I may know your problem.  When I use big lenses, I notice that the lens
>flange or the camera flange can have the screws loosen.  I had it happen on
>an R6 while shooting with a 280.

Best regards,
Harrison McClary
email: harrison@mcclary.net