Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Current Events
From: Frank Conley <frankconley@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 12:30:44 -0700 (PDT)

The use of the term-of-art "presumption of innocence" really has to do
with putting the burden of proof in a criminal case on the state, and
nothing at all to do with the ultimate guilt or innocence, legal or
otherwise, of the accused. In fact, this idea works *in favor* of the
accused because if it were a true "presumption" the accused would have
to come forward with proof of his innocence once evidence of guilt were
introduced in order to avoid a directed verdict of guilty.  As it is,
the accused does not have to provide proof of his innocence.

- --Frank