Subject: [Leica] M4-2 reliability
From: pieter@world.std.com (Pieter Bras)
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 05:47:40 -0400

"R. Saylor" <rlsaylor@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Are there any reliability problems with the M4-2? I don't need/want
> the additional framelines of the M4-P.

I own both cameras.  If you don't need the 28mm and 75mm framelines,
the M4-2 is actually preferable to the M4-P. It has:

 - a better 90mm frameline;
 - a vertical adjustment screw for the rangefinder;
 - no red dot.

The M4-2 suffers in direct comparison to its predecessor, the M4, by
not having a beautiful chrome finish and engraved top plate, and by
being manufactured in Canada.  So what; these are issues for collectors
and equipment worshipers.  I'm not aware that the M4-2 is a less
reliable picture-taking machine than the M4-P -- or the M6, for that
matter.  If there is a problem with a particular unit, it can always be
repaired/adjusted back to specifications.  By now a 20 year old M4-2
will be ready for a CLA if it hasn't had one already.

Remarkably, fewer M4-2's were built (16K) than M4-P's (23K) or M4's
(47K chrome) yet the M4-2 is the cheapest of these on the used market.
Save some money and buy more glass.

- --
Pieter Bras