Subject: [Leica] M & R future
From: dvcinc@swbell.net
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 11:09:03 -0500

From my personal experience I do not understand the negative attitudes
about the R8 I read on this list. I have had no problems with my R8. I
like the camera very much. I feel it is by far the best SLR Leica has
produced since the SL-2 and it is much nicer to use than that model was.
It has a great meter, a wonderful viewfinder, good flash capabilities
and a very solid feel. And, it enables one to use Leica lenses with an
SLR. I like my M6 but the R8 can do things that the rangefinder model
cannot do such as use a 280APO with 2x extender.

I also own an F5 Nikon with a couple zoom lenses. I bought that camera
to have autofocus for those times when my aging eyes are not fast
enough. I have no problem with the Nikon lenses. They are certainly
sharp. I find the 80-200 Nikkor is pretty close to my 80-200 f4 Leica
zoom. The F5 is a very sophisticated camera and can do some things
better than the R8. It is very fast and is especially nice for vertical
shots. I can see why working pros use Nikon rather than Leica.

I would not have a problem if I had to use the F5 for all my SLR
photography. But I am still glad that Leica builds an SLR like the R8
and that I can use Leica lenses for my SLR work.
I agree with Eric. Have patience with Leica. It take time to turn a
company around. Even if Leica could develop an AF SLR with another
company in a joint venture, I do not see where they would get the money
to develop a line of lenses. Their balance sheet is not that strong.
This year they hope to break even. That is  the first step in a turn
around. Stop the bleeding. But do not expect miracles. I will be happy
with a motor drive for the R8. I am happy Leica has an SLR as competent
as the R8. Leica may never be able to compete with Nikon and Canon in
this area. A Leica AF SLR would be nice, but for the moment I am glad
they are making progress and that survival looks like a good
possibility. Again, have patience.

Bob