Subject: RE: [Leica] anyone made a picture recently?-M6Jviewfinder
From: Bernard Delgado <delgado@nytimes.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 00:17:05 -0500

>Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 15:32:30 -0500
>From: "Greg.Chappell" <Greg.Chappell@bankofamerica.com>
>Subject: RE: [Leica] anyone made a picture recently?
>
>M2 type range/viewfinder repair would run up to $400. Check with someone
>like Golden Touch Repair or DAG, etc. that MIGHT have parts for the M3.
>Don't think M6J parts would work.
>
>Greg
========
Hi,
Actually, I have an old DS M3 that has the M6J viewfinder.
A few years ago, Leica was quietly using the viewfinder as a replacement
til they found someone to refabricate the old M3 viewfinders.
There were some shops advertising such cameras as M3J.
This was all way before the M6-.85HM was on the market.

The NYC shop which sold me the camera didnt even realize that the
viewfinder had 35mm frames. I think it was Lens & Repro.  When I showed the
camera to a salesman at Tamarkin in NYC, he pronounced it MAGNIFICENT.
KenHansen called Germany for me & asked if I could get such a viewfinder w/
the meter intact installed into my M6. They said no. Good thing cuz it
wouldve been way more expensive than just waiting for the M6 .85HM.

When Leica did recondition some classic M3 viewfinders, they offered to
install one into an M6 for me...but I would lose the meter. At the time it
seemed pretty expensive. Used M6 prices are much lower now. It would be a
simple way to have a NEWER body w/ less mileage, rapidloading, winder
capability & the classic viewfinder.

Frankly....I dont really care for the M6J viewfinder. M3 is fine for me &
I've gotten used to the standard M6.

- -BMD