Subject: Re: [Leica] lenses combinations
From: "Roger L. Bunting" <rlbunting@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 19:56:23 -0500

Claude,

I use my Leica for travel and family and I'm partial to the following
gear for the stated reasons.

I wear glasses and I find the M6 classic (0.72) with a 35mm lens a
perfect combination. With glasses the 0.85 was not an option - I could
not see the frame lines on the 35mm. I have the 35mm f2 aspheric. It's a
wonderful lens but it is considerably bigger than the pre-asph version
and it may be larger than what you expected in a "travel" lens.

For family pictures, I find that I often use the 50mm. Mine is a chrome
summilux and I use the maximum aperature routinely indoors. It is also
in my travel kit but again the 50mm f1.4 (especially in chrome) adds
weight and bulk for a 50mm in a travel lens, I'd opt for a f2.0 in
black. The trade offs should be considered. I do notice the weight when
knocking around in crowded undergrounds all day.

I frequently use a 24mm but I don't have one for the Leica yet. It is my
most missed lens for any use. Especially in tight city scapes, with
narrow (canyon) streets. The 35mm is just not wide enough.

My ideal travel kit would be a M6 0.72 classic, 35mm f2.0 aspheric (I'll
put up with the bulk, even though others have objected), 24mm (with
finder). Small table top tripod - I like the Bogen/Manfrotto (sp?) since
it comes apart and fits nicely with camera into my Domke F5XB bag.

If I feel the need to carry more, I throw in a Olympus Stylus Epic -
instead of a flash - since it has a small flash and doubles as a backup
- - and a Sekonic 308 meter. I consider the hand held meter my luxury
addition (in terms of weight) because I like to diddle with public
square pictures at night. Maybe a self timer. In reality, I like to
eliminate the small stuff as it leads to collisions in small camera bags
during lens changes, etc. I find travel (if the main interest is travel)
very tough on camera gear and basically a body and main lens, with an
alternate is usually all I take if I'm bound to public transportation.

If I'm headed to the mountains, instead of the city, I trade the widest
lens for the longest lens, but always have a 35mm close at hand.

Good luck in your search,

Regards,

Roger