Subject: Re: [Leica] Lenses - What is the best for travel photography
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 11:46:21 EDT

In a message dated 9/12/99 10:49:34 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
ppalestini@symcorinc.ca writes:

<< Its mentioned the use of a 35mm F/1.4 Summilux-m ASPH used with a Nikon
F2.  Can
 I use Leica lenses with my F3T?  I wouldn't be able to use auto exposure but
 I'll be able to use the F3T body with a superior line of lenses.  If it works
 I'd also assume an adapter ring would be required (?).  Comments? >>

The lens-flange to film-plane distance on the Nikon (or any SLR) is greater
than that of the Leica M, therefore mounting the 35mm M-lens on a Nikon
(while physically possible with some kind of adaptor) it would no longer
focus to infinity.  In fact, with a short focal length lens like a 35, it
would become basically an ersatz macro lens with a working range of only a
few cm from the front element.  (I've mounted mine on a Visoflex, same
principal).

DT