Subject: [Leica] Fill Flash at dusk
From: "Johnny Deadman" <deadman@jukebox.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 21:44:59 +0100

Okay, you weren't to know, but I shoot grabby street stuff so a tripod is
out of the question. The problem is that as soon as the ambient exposure
drops below what I can safely hand-hold, I am relying on the flash exposure
to hold the image sharp. At this point, it seems to make sense that the
flash should dominate: hence my decision to flip the ratio of flash:ambient
from 1:3 to 3:1.

Comments still welcome...

>>My head tells me that as soon as I am not confident about holding the camera
>>steady -- once I'm shooting at less than 1/30 -- I should REVERSE that ratio
>>so that I am now shooting 3:1 flash:ambient. So I usually leave the flash at
>>f4, say, set the camera to f4, and set the shutter speed one stop faster
>>than my light meter says I should.
> Why reverse the ratio?
> Keep working it till you can't shoot or your flash won't adjust any
> lower. As the light falls off you will finally get just flash exposure as
> you hit the bottom range of the power output and the background, unlit
> area goes dark.
> I go til the lense won't open anymore and the flash won't go lower power.
> You can pull the light back too but then it starts getting ugly. IMO
>

>>Since I don't consider doing this until the shutter speed falls below 1/30,
>>I never end up with a shutter speed out of sync range.
>>
>>The point is twofold:
>>
>>1:    Avoid evenly balanced light sources...yuk!
>>2:    Make sure the sharp flash image dominates the blurry ambient image
>>
>>However, my heart always tells me I should be making a more gradual
>>change...exposing for the ambient light as long as possible...letting the
>>balance change gradually instead of suddenly snapping over from one ratio to
>>the other.
>
> Measure your flash with the meter's shutter speed set as high as it will
> go - 1/500th probably - this will eliminate the ambient from that
> reading. Then set your aperture from this. The flash is your shutter for
> the part of the picture it exposes. Your camera shutter speed is the
> shutter for the ambient.
>
> If the shutter speed gets too slow then its tripod time (if it was not
> already)

- --
Johnny Deadman

"One is ashamed to want so much for oneself - but how else are you going to
justify your failure and your effort?" - Robert Frank